You wont find too many recipes in my repertoire which could be classed as healthy! I am a girl who likes her indulgences! But, when a cake still tastes delicious, who am I to complain that it is also pretty much fat free?! It simply means I can eat twice as much with half the amount of guilt!
The sticky toffee aspect of this particular banana bread come from the very essence of sticky toffee pudding itself, the delicious dates! Dates are one of mother natures kindest gifts to us. Sticky, sweet and splendidly gooey. The taste pairs beautifully with banana and they add moisture and a perfect natural sweetness to the bread. So, if you've got some over ripened bananas to use up, or you simply fancy a sweet treat with your morning coffee then look no further, enjoy...
- 3x ripe bananas- the riper the better!
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 2x eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 60g dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat your oven to 180/ 160 degrees fan and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Soak your dates in a bowl in some boiling water.
- With an electric whisk, beat together the bananas, sugar and eggs until light and creamy.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, vanilla and spices until thoroughly combined.
- Finally, stir through the soaked dates, with a little bit of their liquid.
- Pour into your loaf tin and pop into the oven on a low shelf for around 45-50 minutes until springy to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin and enjoy at your leisure!